Cambridge Educated, Former CEO and Parliamentary Director reveals:
HOW TO MAKE SURE YOUR CHILD ALWAYS MAKES THE RIGHT CAREER CHOICES, NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS...
... Using My Careers Planning Framework That Has Already Helped 6000+ Gen Z Teenagers Choose Their High School Elective Subjects, University & College Degrees and First Jobs
The Careers That Matter Mentorship Program
Provide your child with the framework to consistently make the correct career decisions, regardless of changes in the job market.
Teens and young adults aged 14-24 years old can join the program from anywhere in the world and participate at a time that suits them.
Ten weeks of video lessons, challenges and monthly live workshops (recorded for replay), with the flexibility to take the program at a slower pace to align with your schedule and plans.
Your child receives personalised support from an award-winning career mentor, former CEO and advisor to the Australian Parliament
Parents also receive weekly updates to keep you informed and can access parent-only training modules.
Explore the content and program for free for seven days before making a commitment. Both teens and parents receive their own login to try the content and make sure it is for you.
Book a free consultation call with Larissa if you want to talk through the program or your child's unique situation.
You’re here because you want to help your child navigate an almost impossible task:
Choosing high school classes…
Of course, I’m kidding, but if we’re being honest, the choices that you and your child are about to make matter more now than ever before.
You’ve probably seen firsthand the almost ridiculous number of career paths that are available now. Which means you also realize that your children have an opportunity that you never really had:
The chance to find the perfect career.
One that doesn’t drain them emotionally and physically… That they can get excited for each morning they wake up.
One surrounded by like-minded people who share and support their vision.
One that maximizes all of their potential, instead of stifling it, to make them fit into a corporate mold that isn’t a reflection of who they really are…
The choices in your day were a lot simpler:
- Go to college/university and start a career
- Start your own business
- Get a job and see where things go
There wasn’t access to global networks of companies and universities from the comfort of your home computer.
You did things the “hard” way… You spoke to people in person, asked questions, watched the news, hunted down information in libraries, and with what little you could pull together yourself, you made an educated “best guess” and stuck with it.
I’d gamble that you’re pretty satisfied with the career choices that you ultimately settled on, but you’d probably agree that if you had the right insights at the right time, you could have gone even further, achieved even more, and found even more fulfillment from your career.
Right now, you have a chance to give your children the head start that you wish you had back then, and the Careers That Matter team is here to help.
We’ll use our science and research-backed career counselling to explore your child’s unique talents, personality traits, and personal values to craft a career map that leads to their highest potential, greatest impact, and maximal personal fulfillment.
Put Them on the Path to Career SuccessEnroll Your Teen Now
Why Career Clarity Matters Most Right Now…
According to research at Berkeley University, your teen goes to school because they feel pressured into it…
To quote them directly:
The majority of teenagers feel disengaged or pressured with their studies, associating school with boredom and stress. The connection between why teens are at school and what it means for their post-school lives is missing. (Source: Berkley University)
In a nutshell, your teen doesn’t have a compelling vision for their future that drives them to fully engage in school.
Without one, they’ll continue to drift aimlessly, feeling perpetually stressed by the “pointless” exercise of going to school everyday and studying for exams that ultimately mean nothing to them.
Eventually, this aimlessness leads them into making poor career choices that they aren’t well suited for.
Which is exactly why many students —myself included— find themselves restarting university degrees, or completing university degrees, getting a job that they “think” is a good fit, then hating it…
At that point, there are only a few options available:
- Go into even more student debt by restarting a degree
- Stick with a job that you hate and hope for something better
- Work a job that you’re utterly overqualified for that doesn’t help you build your skillset to make ends meet
Not an attractive menu to pick from.
On the other hand, clarity of purpose in teenagers leads to
“greater persistence, resourcefulness, and resilience. They are more motivated, stronger learners, and experience higher levels of gratitude, self-confidence, and fulfillment.
This clarity acts as a protective factor against depression and anxiety, contributing to their overall well-being."(Source: Stanford Centre on Adolescence)
And once they become adults, clarity of purpose allows them to not only outearn their peers by significant amounts but to feel fulfilled in their careers. They also tend to build stronger and more meaningful relationships. (Source: Hill et. al. 2016)
The purpose behind our career counselling for students:
- Isolate your child’s talents so they know what skills will be the easiest, most enjoyable, and most profitable to master
- Help them to understand their own inner workings to choose the best career options that fulfill them instead of ending up trapped in dead-end careers
- Use Scientific research and insights from over 200+ Industry leaders to Develop a clear career plan complete with pivot and fallback options so they can move into opportunities with confidence
By walking them through this process, we’ll give them the clarity of purpose that can help them maximize their potential.
But, before we dive into more details about how we’ll help them do that, here’s a little bit about me.
How I Went From Aimless to Working at the Highest Levels of Australian Government…
(And Why it Matters to Your Child)
Meet Your Career Counsellor
Hi, my name is Larissa Brown, the Founder and Chief Career Mentor at Careers That Matter.
I started three different degrees in my early twenties trying to work out what I wanted to do – engineering, then law, and then science.
None of them felt quite right.
I was driven by a single question:
“How can I make an impact on society through my work?”
(Yes, a very strange thought for a young person to obsess over, but— I’ve never really taken an ordinary path through life..)
Either way, I couldn’t find the answers in the degrees I chose to pursue.
Eventually, I was so let down by the entire journey that I decided to drop out of school to take a gap year.
I spent that year travelling around the world, and realised how much we have to be grateful for as a species. Our environment, the wonderful wildlife around us, the ecosystem we’re blessed to live in and be a part of.
It became apparent to me, that I needed to do something about it.
Which is when it occurred to me that I’d finally found my purpose…
The impact I wanted to have on the world…
It only took three degrees, depression, and a gap year to get it done…
Eventually, my newfound purpose would lead me through several career advances, all driven by my ultimate goal to create a sustainable impact on the world. This would culminate in my dream job:
Working out of parliament house as director of parliament and policy for 15 Greens senators and MPs.
I was utterly fulfilled in this role, and often, I’d be caught up so deeply in my work that 14 hours could pass in the blink of an eye.
But if I had the right guidance, much earlier on in my life, I would have been able to get there much sooner, and with a lot less headache.
That fact, and my recent decision to start a family pushed me in an entirely new direction.
Looking back at my life I realized just how much insight into career choices I’d accumulated in my own adventure and knew that I could make a massive impact on the next generation by helping young teens to skip the hardship and get the headstart in their careers that I wish I had.
Thus, Careers That Matter was born.
Navigating your child's early career can be challenging: I got terrible career counselling in high school. I started three different degrees in my early twenties trying to work out what I wanted to do – engineering, then law and then science. None of them felt quite right. Eventually, I found my way to a career that I loved, but I wasted a lot of time and money in the process and I don't want you to make the same mistake.
- Your child will benefit from extensive experience in my many senior and fulfilling jobs: I founded and served as CEO of an award-winning NGO. I then followed my passions – and applied my skills – in politics, commencing as a State Director of a significant Australian political party, before moving to the national arena as the federal party’s parliamentary director and then national policy director working out of Australian Parliament House.
- Access a framework based on interviews with the world's greatest social impact leaders about their careers: My research has taken me to 20 countries and five continents to interview 200 leaders. This includes former Prime Ministers, Nobel Prize Winners, top entrepreneurs and young people making a difference in cities across the globe.
- Your child benefits from research at the world's best universities: I hold three master’s degrees at the world's top universities - Cambridge University (UK), the London School of Economics, and The University of Melbourne. I have also worked as a lecturer and research scientist at Australia's top universities.
- Your child's award winning career mentor: I have been recognised as a Global Shaper by the Davos World Economic Forum and listed as one of Melbourne's 100 Most Influential People by The Age newspaper. Additionally, I have been honoured as the Australian Young Environmentalist of the Year and the Victorian Young Australian of the Year.
- Your child's career planning is my passion: I am driven by the question; how can people use their uniqueness to have an impact through their work? I love helping teenagers identify fulfilling, meaningful and impactful careers they can grow into.
A Sneak peek Into the Careers That Matter Methodology
Navigating this journey is more than a challenge. But working from the bottom up and leveraging your child’s uniqueness makes the journey significantly easier,
That’s why we’ve created our researched-backed career counselling program.
We’ll help you and your child to:
1. Explore Your Child’s Unique Potential to Discover Their Greatest Talents, Values, and Passions
There is and never will be another person who is like your child. Within this career counselling program, we’ll explore that uniqueness to find clues that lead us to the best career choices for them. Careers that they can wake up excited for each day, make an impact, and live a fulfilled life.
2. Match them to Future-proof Career Choices That Will Fulfill them emotionally and Maximize Their Impact on the World
We’ll compare their unique talents, values, and passions to changes that are happening in the job market and where we expect the market to be in the next decade. We’ll create a career path that gives them freedom of choice.
3. Isolate The Core Skillset That Will Pay Them Dividends for the Rest of Their Lives
Once we’ve figured out the career options that work best for them, we’ll create a list of the core skills they’ll need to master. Knowing these skills will tell them exactly how their time needs to be invested in the next few years especially which classes, extracurricular activities, and internships to focus on.
4. Select Pivot Careers So Your Child Has the Freedom to Choose the Best Options Boldly
Career counselling means more than picking the “best fit” for them. It means creating a roadmap of all the available options so that they can move forward in the world without feeling trapped. We’ll work together to prepare a series of pivot careers to provide them with options in case their first choice wasn’t the perfect fit.
5. Establish a “Fall Back” Option Just case things Don’t Proceed Perfectly
Everyone needs a backup plan, and we’ll make sure that your child has one that’s a perfect fit. This fallback option will be less glamorous than their primary choices, but it will allow them to continue to leverage and develop their core skillset and pay the bills while they plan their next move.
6. Help Your Child Create a Step-by-Step Plan to Get From Where They Are Now to Where They Need to be
It’s a long road from where they are right now, to where they will be and every step matters. By the time your child has finished this career counselling program, they’ll be equipped with a step-by-step roadmap that makes all future class, university, and job decisions as simple as reading a map.
Enrol to make choosing classes and career easier for your teen.
Enrol to discover your child’s unique abilities and find a career that fulfills them emotionally and maximizes their potential.
Enroll Your Child To Give them The Headstart You Wish You Had.ENROL THEM NOW
What Our Graduates Say
"Overall, my favorite part was creating a career plan to be a mental health app developer. I've always had an interest in mental health and app creation, and Larissa helped me create this roadmap.
So, if you're a teenager like me, who could use some incredible career guidance, Do it. Even if you think you can handle it yourself or it's just boring, you don't want to do it. Trust me, it's one of the best decisions I could have made for my future. And I just cannot thank Larissa enough for the personalized guidance."
Lucas T, New York
"Before I found this program, I was lost in the sea of possibilities. I knew I had a passion for technology, but I wasn't sure how to give it a purpose.
The program helped me identify my superpower, which is my ability to think outside of the box and connect tech solutions with real social issues. Now, I'm on my path to becoming a tech for good developer. I'm focused on creating applications that solve real world problems. And I've got a mentor who's guiding me along the way."
Linda A, London
"In high school, I was dealing with a lot of mental struggles. I had a constant anxiety thing going on because I didn't know what to do with my life. And when it seemed like everyone around me had something already figured out for themselves,
After the program, it's like I'm living a whole new life. I no longer suffered from the crippling anxiety of not knowing what I needed to do in my life. I have goals, and I have deadlines, and I even have people to help me complete those deadlines. Careers That Matter literally changed my life."
Ryan S, Denver, CO
"I discovered that I am passionate about creating content using Artificial Intelligence, combining Marketing and Artificial Intelligence to provide experiences to people and connect with companies.My goal is to lead the creation of virtual reality content in a studio or in my own agency.
Sometimes I think that the stress that your parents and friends make you feel can lead you to make a bad decision and I feel that the best option is to pause in life, think and choose with calm the best decision."
Maria K, Bogata, Colombia
"I went from knowing nothing about my future to having multiple options. Whichever way it goes I'll be working in a career that I'm passionate about.
It's also rewarding to know that I figured this out on my own. I didn't rely on my parents, or a teacher to tell me how to live my life. I figured it out on my own with the help of Careers That Matter"
Tim G, Berkley, CA
Here’s Exactly What You’ll be Getting in Each Week of The Program
Start the Program Anytime* and Complete It At Your Own Pace.
Our program is designed to be flexible for both you and your teen. You can start it anytime and complete it at your own pace, from anywhere you have internet access. However, to ensure that every student receives individual attention, we limit the number of available spots at any given time.
*UPDATE: Currently, we have reached full capacity for the December 2023 and January 2024 programs. If you're interested in enrolling for the February 2024 program, we recommend securing your spot as soon as possible, as places are expected to fill up quickly.
Ten Video Workshops You Can Do Anytime
Invest just 2.5 hours every week into an online workshop jam-packed with exciting insights and engaging activities designed to help your child develop and understanding of themselves.
You can do these at any time and from anywhere.
The ten workshops are designed to be completed at a pace of one per week over ten weeks; but you can do them slower or take weeks off in between.
By the time they’ve worked their way through all 10 workshops, your child will have created a functional career path, based on their unique strengths, passions, and desired impact.
Optional Live Workshops with Larissa
You’re not alone in your search for career counselling for students. Your child will be joining a group of teenagers from all across the globe who are all wrestling with the same questions that they are right now.
We run monthly live sessions across multiple time zones so that teenagers can explore what they have been working on that week with Larissa and other students their age as they work together to build a career plan.
Each session is recorded and available to watch immediately after.
If you can't make a session you are welcome to send in any questions you would like answered in the workshop and watch the recording later.
Personalised Career Advice From Larissa
Every week, they’ll receive a challenge designed to deepen their thinking and further explore themselves and the ideal career path forward. These challenges add a piece of the puzzle each time they’re completed.
We'll give them access to a private forum that we’ll share as a group with other teens in the program. This group will be the hub of their career-building for the next few weeks. They’ll have a safe space to share their thoughts, feelings, and the results of each activity.
At any time they can reach out for support and receive guidance from Larissa.
They’ll also receive personalised guidance from Larissa on the key aspects of their career plan - including personalised career suggestions for them to explore and career development opportunities tailored to their ambitions.
Phase One: Discovering Your Teen's Unique Path
Get ready! The first four weeks focus on diving deep to uncover what makes your teen uniquely them. This isn't one-size-fits-all advice; it's all customized to fit their individual interests and talents. Here's what's on the agenda:
Get Lit on What You Love
We start by zeroing in on what truly captivates your teen. Here's the focus:
- Stuff that grips them: Identifying activities they can get lost in for hours.
- What they're curious about: Exploring topics and tasks that pique their interest and make them want to learn more.
By the end, your teen will have a dynamic list of activities and interests that fuel their enthusiasm, laying a solid groundwork for their future career path.
uture career journey.
Unlock Your Unique Edge
What's Your World-Changer Mode?
This week, we take a step back to focus on the broader context:
- Dream Up Your Teen's Ideal World: They'll identify what they wish could change in the world, whether it's social justice, environmental issues, or economic fairness.
- Core Beliefs, Real Talk: Your teen will hone in on the values that are important to them, serving as their guiding principles in career decision-making.
By the end, your teen will have a preliminary outline of the impact they'd like to make in the world. It's just a starting point, but every big journey begins with that first step.
Craft Your Career GPS
This week is a pivotal moment. Your teen will be constructing their own career GPS, a lifelong tool for navigating their future. Here's the breakdown:
- Craft the Career GPS: Your teen will learn how to create a statement that encapsulates their unique qualities. It combines their personality, core values, strengths, and acquired skills into one guiding mantra for their career journey.
By the end, your teen will have a one-liner that truly resonates with who they are, steering them toward careers that are a genuine fit.
Phase Two: Exploring Future Pathways
Get ready for the next big step. In Phase Two, we're diving into the world of future careers that vibe with your teen — their values, strengths, and what gets the fired up.
Prep for a Future-Ready Career
This week, your teen will work on aligning their career compass with jobs built for longevity. Here's what they'll dive into:
- Design Thinking for Career Ideas: Your teen will use design thinking to brainstorm careers that align with their values, strengths, and interests.
- Check Out Industry Trends: They'll explore the latest developments in their shortlisted fields, understanding new technologies and societal changes that could impact their career choices.
By the end, your teen will have a focused list of careers, along with a clear understanding of the skills needed to excel in them.
The Power of Choice
This week, it's time to move beyond the "one dream job" myth and get practical. Here's what your teen will tackle:
- Their Top 10: Using their career GPS, they'll pinpoint the jobs that resonate most with them.
- Clear the Fog: They'll identify any uncertainties about each of their top 10 career choices, creating a to-do list for further exploration.
By the end, your teen will have a shortlist of 10 careers and a checklist of questions to dive deeper into each one, setting the stage for well-informed decisions.
Road Test Your Career Picks
This week is all about giving your teen a taste of their future. Here's the agenda:
- Try Before You Buy: They'll learn that you can't really know if a career suits you until you've had some firsthand experience.
- Hands-On Homework: Your teen will discover options like job shadowing, internships, and part-time gigs as ways to feel out different careers.
- Pro Talks: They'll get tips on how to reach out to professionals in the fields they're interested in for the real story on what it's like.
By the end, your teen will have a game plan to test drive their top 5 career options. It's a hands-on approach that's well worth the effort.
Phase Three: Build Your Bespoke Career Game Plan
In the final three weeks, you'll go from ideas to action, crafting a flexible game plan that sets your teen up for long-term success.
This week focuses on helping your teen confront any obstacles between them and their ideal career. Here’s what’s on the docket:
- Spot the Roadblocks: Your teen will identify what might be holding them back, whether it's self-doubt, limited resources, or external pressures.
- Plan the Leap: They'll craft a game plan that leverages their strengths and available support to tackle these challenges head-on.
By the end, your teen will have a personalized roadmap to navigate around career hurdles and accelerate toward their goals.
Build Your Career Blueprint
This week helps your teen prep for a world that's ever-changing. Here's what they'll get into:
- Roll with the Punches: They'll focus on developing adaptability because the world, and their career path, is bound to shift.
- Triple Play: Your teen will construct three distinct career blueprints—Plan A for the dream job, Plan B as a reliable alternative, and Plan Z as a safety net.
- Balance Act: They'll learn to align their immediate steps with their long-term career goals, creating a balanced approach for the future.
By the end, your teen won't have just one plan, but three flexible career paths, prepped and ready for whatever comes next.
Put Your Plans Into Play
This week your teen moves from dreaming to doing. They're taking control of their career future, and here's how:
- Career Capital Cash-In: Your teen will learn about career capital—the combo of skills, experience, connections, and reputation. They'll see how this can make a big impact on their career moves.
- Mini Goals, Major Gains: Their big-picture career plan is about to get broken down into bite-sized goals, tasks, and deadlines. No more lofty dreams, they'll get a detailed plan to actually make it happen.
- Rule Maker, Rule Breaker: Daily routines become their roadmap to success. They'll focus on setting priorities, time management, and even setting aside daily 'career time.'
When the program wraps up, your teen will have a clear to-do list aimed at turning their career dreams into reality.
Example: Module Two Introduction
Program Resources Specifically For Parents
Did you know you're the most influential person in your teen’s career planning journey? According to research, parents have more sway in their child’s career decisions than teachers, friends, or even social media.
While every parent-teen relationship is unique, our aim is to equip you to become a trusted confidant in your teen’s career journey. We'll provide the tools and guidance; the rest is up to you and your teen.
Here is how we will support you during the Program.
Weekly Updates to Keep You in the Loop
Every week, a video will be available for you to watch with suggestions on how you can support your child with their career exploration based on the curriculum that week.
One week might be about sifting through old interests, another could involve setting up a chat with Uncle Bob the engineer.
As a parent, you know your child better than anyone. You see things about them that they themselves may not even recognize.
Our aim is to equip you to become a trusted confidant in your teen’s career journey.
Specific Training For Parents of Teens on This Journey
The program includes a short training program just for parents to help you be an ally to your teens on this journey.
Get research-backed, science-based answers to all your questions like,
- What is your role in your child’s career-planning journey?
- How can you help your teen find their career dreams?
- How can you open up as many doors and opportunities for them as possible?
- How is the workplace different for your child than it was for you?
- How can you start meaningful conversations and talk to your teenager about their future?
How to Join the Careers That Matter Mentorship Program
Email Your Teen An Info Pack About The Program
Need help explaining the program to your teen? Let us know your teen's email address and we will send them some information about the program in language that appeals to teens.
Flourish in a Meaningful Career
Your teen can adapt, grow, and succeed in their chosen path as they navigate the evolving job market. You can look on as a proud parent.
PRICING - TWO OPTIONS
OPTION ONE: TEN WEEK GROUP PROGRAM
What you and your teen will receive:
- Mentorship from an award-winning career counsellor.
- Ten weeks of video workshops you can do anywhere at any time.
- Monthly live workshops with Larissa.
- A meaningful, clear and flexible plan for your child's career.
Choose to pay either in Australian or Australian dollars
100% Risk-Free - Our Seven Day Money Back Guarantee
We encourage you to dive headfirst into our program, try the videos, take on the challenges, and immerse yourself in the content. If, for any reason, you discover that the program isn't the right fit for you within the first seven days of starting, we've got you covered. We believe so strongly in the value of our program that we offer a full refund, no questions asked.
Contact our support team on [email protected] within seven days of starting the program, and we'll process your full refund promptly. No need to provide reasons; we respect your decision.
Also Available on a Payment Plan
Three Payments Over Three Months
OPTION TWO: ONE TO ONE COACHING WITH LARISSA
FOUR INDIVIDUAL COACHING SESSION
We will work over four (online) sessions - one hour each - to develop a tailored career plan. You can do the sessions at the pace of one per week or one per month. There will be some reflective tasks to do in between sessions.
What you will receive:
- Access to all the materials offered in the group coaching program above.
- Four, one-hour mentorship sessions with Larissa to help you identify and design a meaningful, clear and flexible plan for your career.
Choose to pay either in Australian or American dollars
Want to talk through your situation?
Book a Free Consultation Call
We are very happy to chat with each potential student - or/and their parent - before they sign up, to ensure the program is a good fit. Schedule a call to take the next step.Schedule a Call with Larissa
Email Your Teen An Info Pack
Keen to make this happen?
Need Help Explaining The Program to Your Teen?
Looking for Language That Will Spark Their Interest in Exploring Future Paths?
Let us know your teen's email address and we will send them some information about the program tailored to the interests of teens.